What causes cellulite: Foods you should be avoiding
Cellulite is a skin condition wherein the fat deposits push through the connective tissue beneath the skin. It usually occurs in the buttocks and thighs. It affects as much as 80-90% of postpubertal women worldwide.
These figures are not surprising, though. Here at Dorra Slimming, we get a lot of inquiries about cellulite.
What Causes Cellulite?
Cellulite is either caused by hormonal or physiological factors. It mainly occurs when there is an interaction between the connective tissue in the dermatological layer of the skin and the layer of fat below it. Cellulite causes the skin to look dimpled and lumpy.
Although it can affect both genders, women are more prone than men in getting cellulite. This is because men have connective tissues that are crisscross. In women, these tissues are arranged vertically, causing the cellulite to be more visible.
Contrary to popular belief, cellulite does not only occur in overweight individuals. You can have it even if you have an average weight. In some cases, even underweight women suffer from this condition as other factors also come into play besides physiological aspects.
Hormone and age are the reasons why it afflicts so many women. Unfortunately, your lifestyle can also trigger it; bad habits and diet increase your risk of getting cellulite.
A Guide to Cellulite Diet
There are foods that cause cellulite and foods that prevent it. Poor nutrition is one to blame. When you load up your body with processed and refined foods, you’re more likely to suffer from cellulite. Our skin serves as the largest detoxification organ in the body and whatever we eat gives off its appearance on our skin.
Foods that Cause Cellulite
Below are foods to avoid when you are suffering from this skin condition:
- Refined flours and sugars – present in refined grains such as white bread, white pasta, and breakfast cereals.
- Artificial food additives – these are chemical substances used to improve the flavor and consistency of food. Examples include preserved food that’s gone through pickling or preserving.
- Fried foods – it may be hard to say no to a serving of your favorite fried chicken or large French fries from your go-to fast food chain. But before munching on them, remember that they are bad for your health. They do not only contain lots of trans fats that puts you at higher risk of heart disease. They are also bad for your skin.
- Synthetic sweeteners – often found in many consumer products, such as toothpaste, mouthwash, non-calorie drinks, and even cough syrup.
- Too much salt – feta cheese, for instance, carries as much as 400 milligrams of salt in just a quarter-cup serving.The sodium content in the cheese actually causes cellulite to be more visible.
Foods to Eat to Prevent Cellulite
It’s important to pay attention to what food to avoid, but it is even more so to know the “superfoods” that can help you bust cellulite. Water-rich foods are pretty good at keeping you hydrated.
When you are well-hydrated, the cells function at their peak level. This means you can prevent unsightly dimples while maintaining your plump skin. Experts also recommend eating more anti-inflammatory foods that can lessen the swelling at a cellular level.
Here are some staples to keep in your fridge for cellulite-free skin:
- Tomatoes – the lycopene helps break down collagen, which improves the appearance of our skin.
- Oily fish – rich in amino acids that help produce collagen and elastin. The body needs these minerals to have younger, firmer-looking skin.
- Spinach – it has anti-inflammatory properties that help fight cellulite.
- Blueberries – packed with Vitamin C and anthocyanins that promote dimple-free skin.
- Watermelon – contains as much as 92% of water and this makes it the best food to eat aside from drinking lots of water.
There are several ways to treat cellulite, which include minimally invasive as well as non-invasive treatments. However, getting rid of cellulite is not that easy. It can be very annoying to the point that it may tempt you to try various pills or go under the knife. Some women even go on crash diets, only to feel hopeless in the end because nothing happened.
At Dorra Slimming, we strive to provide our clients with natural treatments to help them get rid of unsightly cellulite. We are proud to use our latest French technology which is specially designed to target problem areas like bulging tummies, wide hips, and chunky thighs. Make an appointment now and say goodbye to cellulite forever!